Ukulele Lessons via Skype
Ukulele Lessons via Skype with Rik Roberts
Learn online via Skype and webcam with me from the comfort of your own home, wherever in the world you are!
What are the pros compared with face to face lessons?
- Face to face filming by the webcam makes technique clearly visible.
- Lessons tend to be high in content as there are less distractions.
- The teacher can instantly send messages and notes relating to the lesson.
- You can video each lesson by clicking a button.
- No need to travel or worry about traffic and parking!
What are the cons?
- A slight sound delay means the teacher and learner cannot play pieces together.
- The teacher cannot point directly to the student's fingers on the fretboard.
So in short?
Skype is a different way of learning. Once tried, it becomes really comfortable and easy. I was a very early practitioner of Skype lessons in the late 2000s, and even appeared on a Channel 5 technology show in 2009. I have recently started using the medium again and I have solid approaches to exploiting webcam lessons to provide the best learning experience for the student.
Is Skype a popular way of learning?
Yes. It's also a very popular medium for music lessons nowadays. 10-15 years ago it was very much a novelty, now many teachers offer Skype tuition as one of their services.
What will I need?
- You will need Skype installed on your computer (included with Windows 10).
- You will need a webcam and a microphone (included in most modern PCs).
What do I do?
- Contact me here and I will arrange a time with you including additional minutes at the beginning of the lesson to check we have a good connection and camera view.
- Connect with me on Skype at the scheduled time. My id is live:rikoweneroberts.
How much does it cost?
£18 for 30 minutes
£24 for 40 minutes
£36 for 60 minutes
How do I pay?
Please pay by BACS:
Music Never Alone Ltd
Sort Code: 16 14 20
Paypal payments can be arranged if you do not use BACS.
The first lesson can be paid just after the session. Subsequent lessons should be paid prior to the scheduled session. You may pay lesson by lesson or in blocks of any number up to 10.
Can I cancel a scheduled lesson?
Yes. There is no charge for cancellations with 24 hours notice. Lessons cancelled with less than 24 hours noticed will be charged the at full lesson rate.
These days connection problems are quite rare, but if a lesson is interrupted for technical reasons causing a significant pause in the session, you will be offered extra minutes or a free make up lesson in-lieu.
What students say...
'I am so glad to have found Poynton Music School as a mature student. It's never too late to learn. It's great to have clear guidance from Rik to enable us to have fun playing a range of songs together'.
'I've done a few of Rik's courses and they never disappoint! I'm on the improvers ukulele course at the moment and really enjoying it. The classes give just the right amount of challenge to keep me working hard to better my skills and techniques. Also, it's great fun to play with a group of like-minded people'.
(Brenda Griffin De Tapa)